Subject: Re: SA and ATAPI (Newbie question !!!)
To: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/05/1997 17:09:09
On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Thomas Boroske wrote:

> Just tried to install RiscBSD (1.2 Release) _from a CDROM_ I got
> from a nice chap.
> Everything worked well until we were on the point where you have
> to mount the cdrom.
> The install quide (which is quite old, I know) said you had to use
> something like
>
> mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom
>
> where /cdrom is the mountpoint and /dev/scd0 is the cdrom device driver,
> I guess (???).
>
> Problem is, its an ATAPI cdrom, which was detected during boot as acd0
> or something, so we went looking for that in /dev, but it wasnt there.
>
> I believe ATAPI support is a function of the kernel used (?), but we were
> unable to find information about the different kernels (the kernel we used
> was SA110-4740).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is there an SA kernel that has ATAPI support ??? Where ?
> 2. Where do you have to look for new kernels (ftp) ?
> 3. Is there anything wrong with using version 1.2 release ?
Hi,
  Ok your mount line is correct apart from the device file.

The SCSI CDROM device is cd so mounting a SCSI CDROM would use the device
/dev/cd0a, /dev/cd1a ...

SA kernels do have ATAPI. If the kernel reports an ATAPI bus and the
probe reports an ATAPI CDROM drive then you should be able to use this.

The ATAPI CDROM driver uses the acd device
so you should be using /dev/acd0a for your mount command

ATAPI support is not standard is NetBSD or RiscBSD yet as the driver code
is not standard in kernels yet i.e. there is not officail support yet.
As such  this means that the acd special files in /dev will not exist by
default. This means you will have to create them.

I'll repeat the steps here but note, they are in the FAQ.

mknod /dev/acd0a b 20 0
mknod /dev/acd0c b 20 2
mknod /dev/racd0a c 20 0
mknod /dev/racd0c c 20 2

They you should be able to use

mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/acd0a /cdrom

Cheers,
				Mark

Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk
Research Associate			http://www.ph.kcl.ac.uk/~amb/
Department of Physics			tel: 0171 873 2894
King's College London			fax: 0171 873 2716