Subject: Compiling (was: Re: Serial port)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/04/1997 00:35:10
Alexander,

in message <Pine.OSF.3.91.970102191231.8738A-100000@sable.ox.ac.uk>
          Alexander Hayward <alexander.hayward@lady-margaret-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
wrote:

> > Well you have to use a current make due to recent changes, ie. you must also
> > sup the "release" bmake and compile and install that.
>
> Hmm, it seemed to compile OK... Its just that it would hang whilst booting
> (a panic due to a bad return value from kmem_suballoc, I think).

I'm not sure about it, but I got errors while the compat library was compiled.
If yours was up to date you might not experience the problem now but the next
time it changes.
And try getting more recent sources and recompile again, as I said before mine
crashes while probing the Cumana card, so it seems to be OK otherwise.

> Well, I turned off the ram disc in my compiled kernel as well as anything
> else I don't normally need for net access.

As long as you can will never want to boot from floppy with this...
Anyway, magic Mark has already committed the changes to follow the rd->md
renaming.
In case anybody wants to know, this was done due to conflicts with disks also
called rd on the HP300 and the VAX. This name comes from HPUX or Ultrix so it
was desirable to keep rd as the name for these disks.

> > There are two in Germany (there's none in the UK on the list),
> > netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de (hostbase=/mit/ftp/pub/NetBSD) and
> > sup.uni-trier.de (hostbase=/ftp/pub/unix/systems/NetBSD).

It seems there is now sup.uk.netbsd.org. If only they'd keep their sup related
documents more up to date...

> Right, OK... I haven't actually been able to get sup working, though...

What's the problem? Maybe I can help, I've been using sup regularly for several
months now.

> ATM I tend to just grab the whole lot in to a .tgz file and copy
> it to floppy when I'm at Uni, and get individual files that seem
> important and are out of date when I'm here.

Eek!

> Right, try http://www.personal.u-net.com/~hayward/in_cksum.S.txt

OK I got it and seems to integrate fine (can't test it yet though due to the
abovementioned problem).

> You will have to get config to produce a Makefile and then modify that by
> hand to use arch/arm32/arm32/in_cksum.S (or whatever you rename it as)
> instead of netinet/in_cksum.c. Just do a search for in_cksum to find ithe
> places to change. One of them is in a list of object (I
> think you can leave that), another in a list of C files (remove that) and
> the last is the rule for making it. Change the filename and NORMAL_C to
> NORMAL_S.

I think the clean way is to change the relevant line in
/sys/arch/arm32/conf/files.arm32 from netinet/in_cksum.c to
arch/arm32/arm32/in_cksum.S and put in_cksum.S in there.
If anybody knows better, please correct me.

So long, Markus