Subject: Re: Some general questions
To: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/03/1997 17:06:25
On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Jasper Wallace wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, Peter Naulls wrote:
>

> > These are questions I've had for a while, thought it was time I got
> > someone to answer them :)
> >
> > I keep getting a lot of "Last message repeated..." errors.  What are these
> > caused by, and better yet, how do I cure them?
>
> rather than having 100 copys of a particulay message you get one copy and a
> message saying "Last Message repeated..." as for curing them... most of them
> will be kernel debugging messages ;-)

The real question would be what was the message it was saying was
repeated ?

> > I've set up xdm, which is all well and good, but I get "getty is repeating
> > too quickly on tty09, sleeping".  How do I stop these?
>
> no idea ;-) (never used xdm)

hmmm there should not be a getty running on ttyv9. Have you changed
anything in /etc/ttys ?
I assume that xdm is actually starting correctly ?

I would guess that if you have getty running of ttyv9 then getty is
failing to open the device as xdm will be using it. That will cause getty
to die and be restarted by init.
ttyv9 should be turned off in /etc/ttys.

> > No doubt the answer to this is blantantly obvious, I just haven't seen the
> > answer anywhere - how do I boot X in 32k colours?  And is there a way to
> > increase the number of palette entries so applications don't keep running
> > out of colours?
>
> try /usr/local/bin/setdisplay - it's not actually documented any where tho
> ;-) note that you must specify -d /dev/vidcvideo0 other wise it's a bit
> wierd. use something like:
>
> /usr/local/bin/setdisplay -x 1280 -y 1024 -m /etc/monitor.conf
> 			-d /dev/vidcvideo0 -c 16
>
> or setdisplay -h

man page is coming soon.

CHeers,
				Mark

Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk
Research Associate			http://www.ph.kcl.ac.uk/~amb/
Department of Physics			tel: 0171 873 2894
King's College London			fax: 0171 873 2716