Subject: Re: Some general questions
From: Peter Naulls <pnaulls@wave.co.nz>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/03/1997 21:48:36
> > I keep getting a lot of "Last message repeated..." errors.  What are these
> > caused by, and better yet, how do I cure them?
> > I've set up xdm, which is all well and good, but I get "getty is repeating
> > too quickly on tty09, sleeping".  How do I stop these?
>
> You shouldn't be running getty (or anything else launched by init) on tty09. It
> sounds like you used the XFree86 or Linux documentation to set up xdm. Under
> RiscBSD xdm should be launched from a login shell.

It turns out the two errors are the same thing.  Actaully, I made a guess from
the xdm man pages as to how to set it up - by editing /etc/ttys - no doubt
this is what you are referring to, and of course this is what was causing the
errors.  Is there a better way of having xdm autostart when RiscBSD boots?

> What sort of serial buffer overflows? What type of buffer is overflowing?

I'll get back to you on that one.. :)

> a) Run setdisplay -c 16 (other options to taste) on /dev/vidcvideo0 before
> starting X. Note that due to a bug in the console the mode reverts to 8 bpp if
> X ever reinitialises :-(

Eek..  I can change the resolution with setdisplay fine, but chaning to 16bpp
causes the XServer to boot in some lower resolution, and still tries to fit
everything on.. basically a video wrap occurs - nasty.   This is regardless
of the resolution I choose.  XArm27 incidentally.

This point was brought up some time ago..  when starting RiscBSD in 800x600,
an extra half line of text is displayed at the very bottom of the screen.
RiscBSD is also completely ignoring my MDF which is annoying, as I have to
adjust the horizontal shift on my monitor for a centered image :(

One last funny message I'm getting:

qms: exiting on non empty buffer (20)

Or something similar.. I can't recall the exact wording.

Thanks for your help, Peter

--
| Peter Naulls                            |  Acorn Risc PC 700  *ARM Powered*  |