Subject: Re: Serial port
To: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
From: Alexander Hayward <alexander.hayward@lady-margaret-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/02/1997 19:22:53
On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, Markus Baeurle wrote:

> Hello Alexander!
>
> In message <Pine.OSF.3.91.961228115001.18673A-100000@sable.ox.ac.uk>
>           Alexander Hayward <alexander.hayward@lady-margaret-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm also having difficulty getting sources from ftp.netbsd.org that
> > actually compile toa kernel that works. I'm trying to compile in the
>
> Well you have to use a current make due to recent changes, ie. you must also
> sup the "release" bmake and compile and install that.

Hmm, it seemed to compile OK... Its just that it would hang whilst booting
(a panic due to a bad return value from kmem_suballoc, I think).

> Furthermore, you have to revert the MI change of the name of the ramdisk device
> from rd to md as the arm32 port doesn't seem to use the MI version.
> In /sys/arch/arm32/arm32/conf.c you have to change back all occurences of md
> back to rd and every NMD back to NRD.

Well, I turned off the ram disc in my compiled kernel as well as anything
else I don't normally need for net access.

> Btw, you might want to try a mirror of sup.netbsd.org because it is usually
> awfully slow (at least for me).
> There are two in Germany (there's none in the UK on the list),
> netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de (hostbase=/mit/ftp/pub/NetBSD) and
> sup.uni-trier.de (hostbase=/ftp/pub/unix/systems/NetBSD).

Right, OK... I haven't actually been able to get sup working, though...
ATM I tend to just grab the whole lot in to a .tgz file and copy
it to floppy when I'm at Uni, and get individual files that seem
important and are out of date when I'm here.

> > assembler checksum routine that I sent to you in the summer (IIRC you
> > found a bug, but it seems to work fine for me and dial up SLIP...).
> > It eliminated all the ibuf overflow errors that were appearing
> > at 57k6 (14k4 modem, though).
>
> That would be great to have!

Right, try http://www.personal.u-net.com/~hayward/in_cksum.S.txt
You will have to get config to produce a Makefile and then modify that by
hand to use arch/arm32/arm32/in_cksum.S (or whatever you rename it as)
instead of netinet/in_cksum.c. Just do a search for in_cksum to find ithe
places to change. One of them is in a list of object (I
think you can leave that), another in a list of C files (remove that) and
the last is the rule for making it. Change the filename and NORMAL_C to
NORMAL_S.