Subject: Re: Some general questions
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/02/1997 15:54:02
On Jan 2,  7:43pm, Peter Naulls wrote:
> Subject: Some general questions
>
> These are questions I've had for a while, thought it was time I got
> someone to answer them :)
>
> I keep getting a lot of "Last message repeated..." errors.  What are these
> caused by, and better yet, how do I cure them?

You need to look in your system log and see what the last message was. These
mean that you had the same message several times in a row but it only recorded
the first one plus how many times it was repeated.

> I've set up xdm, which is all well and good, but I get "getty is repeating
> too quickly on tty09, sleeping".  How do I stop these?

You shouldn't be running getty (or anything else launched by init) on tty09. It
sounds like you used the XFree86 or Linux documentation to set up xdm. Under
RiscBSD xdm should be launched from a login shell.

> Another thing about xdm, when I do a reboot if it is running, the machine
> will not reboot, but will either put me into debuging mode, or completely
> lock the machine.

Odd.

> Strangely enough, I too am getting a lot of serial buffer overflows - is
> a cure in sight?  And I'm getting network card buffer overflows too, which
> can be kind of nasty (I-cubed card).

What sort of serial buffer overflows? What type of buffer is overflowing?

No idea about the I-cubed.

> No doubt the answer to this is blantantly obvious, I just haven't seen the
> answer anywhere - how do I boot X in 32k colours?  And is there a way to
> increase the number of palette entries so applications don't keep running
> out of colours?

a) Run setdisplay -c 16 (other options to taste) on /dev/vidcvideo0 before
starting X. Note that due to a bug in the console the mode reverts to 8 bpp if
X ever reinitialises :-(

b) Not easily. Truecolor might help.

Cheers

Rob