Subject: Re: A few questions/problems...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/01/1997 16:59:02
Hi James!

In message <19961228.142441.54@jporritt.demon.co.uk>
          James Porritt <poz@jporritt.demon.co.uk> wrote:

The other questions have been answered by Jochen already...

> 3) I'd like to be able to use my printer but have no idea how you configure
> the lpdaemon. Does anyone know?

You have to edit the file /etc/printcap.
The device is lpt0, ie. the relevant part of the file must read lp=/dev/lpt0.
You'll probably also want to put sh in to suppress the printing of a banner
page which is not useful at home.
My printcap reads:
lp|local line printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:

After that, lpr <filename> should be working. Don't be astonished if the kernel
crashes... This is a known bug, but not everybody suffers from it.
Unfortunatedly Mark doesn't ;-) so it's hard for him to fix it.

You can also specify a filter, especially to have Postscript files converted by
Ghostscript before being printed (otherwise you get the Postscript source
printed which is not desired normally).
I recommend to read the relevant part of the FreeBSD Handbook (it's on their
www site mirror at http://www.uk.freebsd.org) as this is the same for NetBSD
and FreeBSD (and probably other Unixes too).

Hope this helps,

Markus