Subject: Re: Serial port
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/01/1997 16:45:00
Hello Alexander!

In message <Pine.OSF.3.91.961228115001.18673A-100000@sable.ox.ac.uk>
          Alexander Hayward <alexander.hayward@lady-margaret-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
wrote:

> I'm also having difficulty getting sources from ftp.netbsd.org that
> actually compile toa kernel that works. I'm trying to compile in the

Well you have to use a current make due to recent changes, ie. you must also
sup the "release" bmake and compile and install that.
I will put the binary on the ftp site so Mark can put it in the upgrades
directory for 1.2-release.
I'm not sure if you also have to use current versions of the include Makefiles
in /usr/share/mk. I think it's in the "release=etc". Before I did this, I got
an error while compiling the compat library.
Furthermore, you have to revert the MI change of the name of the ramdisk device
from rd to md as the arm32 port doesn't seem to use the MI version.
In /sys/arch/arm32/arm32/conf.c you have to change back all occurences of md
back to rd and every NMD back to NRD.

Furthermore, I have to confirm that indeed a new version of csc.o is needed for
Cumana users. I compiled another kernel and this one now crashes with a
permission fault in kernel by kernel while trying to probe the Cumana SCSI II
card.

Btw, you might want to try a mirror of sup.netbsd.org because it is usually
awfully slow (at least for me).
There are two in Germany (there's none in the UK on the list),
netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de (hostbase=/mit/ftp/pub/NetBSD) and
sup.uni-trier.de (hostbase=/ftp/pub/unix/systems/NetBSD).

> assembler checksum routine that I sent to you in the summer (IIRC you
> found a bug, but it seems to work fine for me and dial up SLIP...).
> It eliminated all the ibuf overflow errors that were appearing
> at 57k6 (14k4 modem, though).

That would be great to have!

Happy New Year! Markus