Subject: Re: New FAQ
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/01/1997 21:36:56
Hello Amit!

In message <Pine.HPP.3.95L.961231163834.27198A-100000@club.eng.cam.ac.uk>
          Amit Gupta <93akg@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm back and have *provisionally* started work on a new FAQ.
>
> Please shout if you have any objection to this - either because you're
> working on it yourself or you're happy with the current one. The current
> FAQ is very out-of-date now and I feel it could do with a thorough revamp.
> I am about 50% of the way through this and (if nobody has objections)
> would anticipate posting an alpha version early next week.

It's probably OK. But what do you mean with "new FAQ"? You are basing on the
previous version, don't you? It would be a waste of time IMHO to start from
scratch.

> In order to complete it (and assuming people think it's worth going
> ahead), I need some input from folks here. Mark and Rob could answer all
> of these questions but I suspect they might be too busy :

Maybe I will have a look and suggest updates for the FAQ.

> 1) An up-to-date list of available sets together with 1-line description
> and uncompressed size. Does anyone fancy doing this, please ? Not having
> my own installation yet I cannot work out the uncompressed size without a
> lot of hassle.

I have posted one several months ago and wanted to update it, maybe I will find
the time to do it.
This will be without uncompressed size as this is rather a lot of hassle
anyway. It would be easier to use the compressed size, you can estimate the
uncompressed size from that.

> 2) Sets which are currently being prepared. If you're currently working on
> a set (e.g. Postgres) can you let me know please ? I'll put a note in that
> the set will appear shortly.

Good idea but difficult to keep up to date.
I'm trying to compile Ghostscript 4.02 but I'm not sure if I will succeed.

> 5) How big (in Mb) is a GENERIC kernel these days ?

Voyager-4871 is about 1702 kB large... There was quite a jump, bsd-4634 was
only quite exactly 1300 kB.

> 6) I suspect that the list of kernel-related bugs in RiscBSD is now well,
> well out of date. We need an up-to-date list of known kernel bugs. Does
> anyone know of any and, if so, can you tell me ? I suspect only Mark has
> the definitive list.

Unfortunatedly not. Seven of them are listed, I can reproduce the first four
(and have provided the text to put in the FAQ) on the most recent kernels. The
last three ones are console related and I think nothing has improved there
either...

> 11) The list of X bugs is also probably out-of-date; for example, it
> claims that Xarm-mono dosen't work with most kernels. Any chance of an
> up-to-date list, please ? At the very least, maybe someone can try out the
> current bug-list and see whether any of them have been fixed ?

Well I'm not sure if "VT switching does not work properly on many combinations
of Xarm and RiscBSD kernel versions" still applies. At least I don't suffer
from that any more, but had this rather a long time ago.
This doesn't necessarily mean that nobody is getting this problem though.
The "ALT key getting stuck" problem is still very present, I get almost every
time I switch to a virtual terminal and back. It explains most odd effects.
The third problem mentioned is that of several characters being entered at once
and this is also not dead. I even had (in rare cases) the situation that keys
got stuck completely.

Hope this helps a bit,

Markus