Subject: New FAQ
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Amit Gupta <93akg@eng.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/31/1996 17:07:10
Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a nice Christmas.

I'm back and have *provisionally* started work on a new FAQ.

Please shout if you have any objection to this - either because you're
working on it yourself or you're happy with the current one. The current
FAQ is very out-of-date now and I feel it could do with a thorough revamp.
I am about 50% of the way through this and (if nobody has objections)
would anticipate posting an alpha version early next week.

In order to complete it (and assuming people think it's worth going
ahead), I need some input from folks here. Mark and Rob could answer all
of these questions but I suspect they might be too busy :

1) An up-to-date list of available sets together with 1-line description
and uncompressed size. Does anyone fancy doing this, please ? Not having
my own installation yet I cannot work out the uncompressed size without a
lot of hassle.

2) Sets which are currently being prepared. If you're currently working on
a set (e.g. Postgres) can you let me know please ? I'll put a note in that
the set will appear shortly.

3) Does povray run correctly yet ? I recall that it used to coredump.

4) Does someone fancy doing some timing tests on the FP performance under
StrongARM ? The question on FP performance really ought to have a MFLOPS
figure to quantify it.

5) How big (in Mb) is a GENERIC kernel these days ?

6) I suspect that the list of kernel-related bugs in RiscBSD is now well,
well out of date. We need an up-to-date list of known kernel bugs. Does
anyone know of any and, if so, can you tell me ? I suspect only Mark has
the definitive list.

7) Is there any 16-bit sound support yet - either a simple beep or full
audio ?

8) Any chance of an up-to-date list of supported SCSI and Ethernet cards,
together with the status of their drivers (alpha, beta, polling,
interrupt-driven...) ? People have mentioned e.g. VTi cards and problems
with various Ethernet cards - can you tell me, please ? Something
involving an ehbug parameter seems to come up occasionally which really
ought to be in the FAQ - can someone explain it, please ?

9) What's the current take on Hydra support ? What works and what dosen't
? I suspect the kernel team will have to answer this.

10) Does MudOS compile successfully under gcc 2.7.2.1 ? Has anyone tried ?

11) The list of X bugs is also probably out-of-date; for example, it
claims that Xarm-mono dosen't work with most kernels. Any chance of an
up-to-date list, please ? At the very least, maybe someone can try out the
current bug-list and see whether any of them have been fixed ?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer !

amit