Subject: Re: A few questions/problems...
To: None <poz@jporritt.demon.co.uk>
From: Jochen Scharrlach <jscharrl@BA-Stuttgart.De>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/29/1996 17:23:07
Hi,

> 2) When I try to start emacs under X windows I get the following error
> messages:
> jporritt[1][2:39pm][~]:emacs
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
> Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
> X protocol error: BadAtom on protocol request 18
> jporritt[2][2:40pm][~]:

Ouch, yes, my fault. I installed the X11R6.1-sets before compiling
Emacs, but the configure-script only found the old libs (/usr/X11R6.1
isn't a common path...). I realized my mistake soon, but I forgot to
upload the recompiled version. I'll do this ASAP.

BTW to all compiler-freaks: even cc2721p1 can't compile every object
file with optimisation :((

> Has anyone succesfully got either normal emacs or its X incarnation running?
> I'm using the distribution of emacs from the contrib directory.

Try "emacs -nw", this will give you at least a tty-Emacs. If you run
it in an xterm, you can try "xterm-mouse-mode" which gives you some
mouse support.

> 4) My .xinitrc file contains just the line: exec fvwm
>    Try as I might I cannot seem to then start up other X applications, as
> part of the X boot sequence. Has anyone any idea as to how this may be done?

Start the applications before that line and don't forget to add a "&"
after each command, e.g.

	xterm &
	xclock &
	exec fvwm