Subject: Re: RiscBSD news group
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/23/1996 03:28:59
Hello!

In message <Pine.SGI.3.91.961215023714.27012B-100000@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
          Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk> wrote:

> >The only reason comp.sys.acorn.riscbsd wouldn't be the best choice would be
> >if riscbsd grows to encompass non acorn kit (not speaking from some hidden
> >knowledge here) e.g. RiscBSD Apple Newton or something like that.
>
> well I'm not planning on coding that in the near future ;-)

Ohh please. Maybe during the four free days at Easter? ;-)))

c.s.a.riscbsd really isn't the best choice, but comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.riscbsd
isn't better anyway.

> A big point is that we already support non Acorn hardware (RC7500) and intend
> to support more in the future (EBSA110 rsn)

Having to draw equal now that ARM-Linux supports it too. ;-)))
Btw, does anybody happen to know when the RiscPC version will show up on the
ftp site? I'm too lazy to ask Russ.

> Personally I prefer mailing lists. Using procmail, exim or what ever your
> favourite is it is simple enough to aim things at different accounts /
> mailboxes.

I would have liked it as a newsgroup some months ago when Messenger with its
superb mailing list handling wasn't available yet or when I even couldn't get
my mail to my RiscPC several months ago.

Now I tend to prefer the mailing list, too.
It's quicker than news and we don't suffer from spam or crosspostings.

The disadvantage is that it's more difficult to post to and its presence isn't
noticed so easily.
Some people might be put off to look in if they have to subscribe first, get
their mailbox filled with mails from the mailing list, would then have to set
up the redirection to a separate folder and so on.
You also have to be told that this list exists unless you have access to the
Web and see it on the NetBSD or RiscBSD www site.
But it's also in the c.s.a.FAQ so this isn't a strong argument. It still
mentions listserver@ic.ac.uk (at least in the Nov 30 issue), this should be
updated. I hope I won't forget to mail Philip, maybe somebody else wants to do
it.

> Another problem to consider with a new group, in addition to those who do not
> have access is that frequently new servers only cache a small number of
> messages or expire messages after a short period (I know I lose various

That's true, you're forced to poll regularly.

> Perhaps what should be considered are say weekly digests of all the mailing
> list traffic so you could receive all the mail but in one go rather than
> piece meal.

Well, ftp://netbsd.wifo.uni-mannheim.de/pub/NetBSD/mailing-lists/port-arm32
(or another NetBSD mirror) is the place to look for this.
All mailing-lists on netbsd.org get archived here in packets of about 55 kB.
The mirrors are one or two days behind ftp.netbsd.org though and you have to
wait until another packet is full before you get the message.
With the traffic on this list, it should take only two or three days for one
packet to fill.
I think you can get the packet which is being filled from ftp.netbsd.org
anyway.
That's how I read the source-changes.

So long, Markus