Subject: Re: sa110-4871 kernel panic
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Newbury <steve@snewbury.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/16/1996 16:08:36
On Sun 15 Dec, Stefan Voss wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> the new SA110-4871 kernel crashes on my machine during the boot process.
> Here's the messages that it displays:
>
> initarm: secondary bootstrap ... mapping ... done.
> init subsystems: stacks vectors undefined pmap irq done.
> ddb: Undefined instruction 0x73657264 @ 0xf011a008 in process (pid 0)
> Undefined instruction
> f011a008: dres: 73657264: CMNVC r5, #&00000640
> Undefined instruction in kernel: Heavy man !
> Process = f0131ca0 pid = 0 comm =
> CPSR = 60000013 Traceback info (frame = f012e17c)
> fp->lr=f0101ecc fp->pc=f011007c
> Trapframe PC = f011a00c
> Trapframe SPSR = 60000013
>
> I downloaded the gzipped SA110-4871 kernel twice just to be sure. The
> older SA-4740 kernel works fine.
>
> Machine spec: SA110, 24 MB RAM, 2MB VRAM.

Me too!

I examined the kernel in !Zap and found that at address &10411C there is a
branch to a blank area of code.  After examining SA-4740, I found that a
large section of the new kernel is missing.  In the old kernel, as far as I
can tell, in the 'same' place (relatively) address &1038F4 the branch points
to a section of code located in the area of the hole.  Unfortunatly, the hole
is larger in size than the coresponding code from the old kernel so some new
code is missing.  I did find however that if the branch is disabled
or returned then the kernel goes on to boot a little longer.

--
Running RiscBSD on...

StrongARM Risc PC | RapIDE 1.28Gb 420Mb | 16Mb RAM + 2Mb VRAM | LarkA16

(well okay I am running RiscBSD off the internal IDE at the mo!)