Subject: Re: Vairous stuff, compile woes and current- probs.
To: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/11/1996 13:24:20
> sd0(ptsc0:5:0): medium error, info = 406532 (decimal), data = 01 7c 01 0c 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> sector 406528 is naff'd - I've tried to get badsect to work but I can't -
> has this happened to any one else? (This should probably go to netbsd-users)

  Yep.  (Although I thought my error was a media error, not a medium one,
but I may have been reading wrong.)

  After investigation I discovered that with the current state of the
scsi drivers (I use csc) the bad blocking standard isn't supported.
However I could also not get badsect to work (I kept getting some error
about device already in use) although this was with BSD1.1.

  Now presumably things don't work under 1.2 either.

  My solution was to backup the disk, reformat in RiscOS, repartition,
and rebuild the ffs filesystem.  Then the errors went away.....

  Luckily it wasn't my main BSD HD!

Ale.