Subject: Re: Floating point Performance
To: Neil <Carson@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
From: Ian Giblin <giblin@dm.unipi.it>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/10/1996 13:35:41
On Tue 10 Dec, Neil wrote:

> I did some tests using Povray on various platforms, for my own interest
> (yes I have an interesting life, honest). I was ray tracing the 'Chess'
> textured chessboard scene.
> I've not tried this on any other systems, we have some SGs, VAXen, etc. but I
> think the above says it all about the ARM FP performance.

I have to disagree - it says it all about trig functions, that's all. If
the majority of people want to run ray-tracing programs then you're
absolutely right of course. My program has no trig in it at all, so the
benchmarks are completely different.

Presumably most people *do* just want to make ray traced images rather than
running hydrocodes etc (or in my case a financial dynamics model), which is
probably a good thing since the output is usually a lot prettier :-).

Thanks,   Ian.

--
Ian Giblin                             mailto:giblin@dm.unipi.it
Dipartimento di Matematica              faxto:+39 50 599524 (shared)