Subject: Re: Floating point Performance
To: None <giblin@dm.unipi.it>
From: Neil <CARSON@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/10/1996 10:40:04
Well,

I did some tests using Povray on various platforms, for my own interest
(yes I have an interesting life, honest). I was ray tracing the 'Chess'
textured chessboard scene.

1) The 700+FPA11 at 34MHz does this three times faster than a 250MHz
   StrongARM.

2) The 200MHz Pentium pro box in the office manages to ray trace this scene at
   least thirty (30) times faster than the StrongARM.

3) The Alpha 2100 here eclipses all of these by a high margin.

I've not tried this on any other systems, we have some SGs, VAXen, etc. but I
think the above says it all about the ARM FP performance.

	Yours aye,

	Neil

--
* Neil A Carson
* The Royal Military College of Science, Shrivenham