Subject: Re: man pages
To: RiscBSD List <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ben Strawson <B.Strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/07/1996 13:57:34
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Duncan Ferguson wrote:

> Thanks to people telling me about INN - it now seems to be up and
> running OK, so i have just ogt to get people to test it for me.

Mmm - don't suppose you can give me some hints on this.  I grabbed the
distribution from sunsite but haven't got it to compile yet (using the
BUILD script provided).  Perhaps I should read the documentation a bit
more, but I wasn't really expecting this much trouble!

> Another question though - as root i have access to all man pages, but
> as another user i have set up (within wheel group) i don't, ie no csh
> page.
>
> The login sequences are the same, and root has no 'extra' MANPATH or
> anything that i can find, so why can root read all, but not another
> user?  As far as i can see there is no reason for this to happen.

The permissions on the manpage directory is wrong for cat1 in
/usr/share/man - it should be the same as all the other cat* directories,
but for some reason I found that it had been set to stop mere mortals from
reading them!

Ben.

Ben Strawson                                            b.strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science