Subject: Re: horrid 16bit beep solution.
To: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/27/1996 18:47:15
On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Ale Terlevich wrote:

>   Has anyone else been *really* annoyed by the beep sound when using a 16bit
> soundcard/motherboard?
>
>   I certainly have, so I've written a wee perl script to convert
> /sys/arch/arm32/mainbus/waveform.h from VIDC uLaw to 16bit signed linear.
>
>   It doubles the frequency cos it has to throw away half the samples to
> keep it 4k long, but it now sounds correct!
>
>   I'm afraid you can only use it if you compile your own kernels cos it
> replaces the waveform compiled into the kernel.  Maybe if mark released
> the source to mkbeep someone could write a mkbeep16 to create 16 bit
> waveforms on the fly, but I'm afraid I have no idea how to write it from
> scratch.

Hi,
  I'll dump the source for mkbeep on the ftp site so people can play. Then
you can use C to create a new 4K wave form and load it in with an ioctl

Cheers,
					Mark

Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk
Research Associate			http://www.ph.kcl.ac.uk/~amb/
Department of Physics			tel: 0171 873 2894
King's College London			fax: 0171 873 2716