Subject: Re: UnixFS/various
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/26/1996 18:18:07
In message <c=GB%a=_%p=Queen_Elizabeth_%l=QUEENELIZA/WEB/0000088F@webserv1.qeliz.ac.uk>,
    Daniel Blueman wrote:

> [...]
>
> When I was copying the NetBSD4626 kernel to /netbsd using UnixFS, I kept
> getting some kind of permission denied (if I remember rightly) error.
> I managed to copy the kernel into the /tmp directory and then move it to
> the root
> in RiscBSD, but how is this ment to be done?

It is meant to be done while running RiscBSD.

You mount a file system (e.g wd0e) via UnixFS and copy a new kernel to a
world-writable directory (e.g. tmp) just like you did. Then you boot into
RiscBSD, log in as root, copy the new kernel (should be in /var/tmp now)
as /netbsd and reboot.

When booting RiscBSD with a bootloader kernel file and /netbsd that differ
you'll probably notice a message like

   savecore: device not found

This message will disappear once the bootloader kernel file and /netbsd
are the same again.

Another (simpler) solution would be to make /netbsd world-writable but
this would be a major security hole.

> Thanks,
> Dan Blueman

Regards,