Subject: Re: Limit set names to 6 characters?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/25/1996 12:02:59
On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen wrote:

> I think that we should limit the set names to 6 characters or
> find a different naming scheme for them.
>
> With more than 6 characters in the set names they do not end
> up correctly when transferred to RISC OS, and even worse,
> some of the set names are so long that the files end up having
> the same names in RISC OS.
>
> Examples of the last are gs262fonts and xdaliclock in the 1.2-release.

They should at least be 8.3 since they will probably fly around on dos
discs at some point in there lives. We could do 7.2 - this only gives us 100
split files per set - shouldn't really be a problem tho.

The installer might get a bit confused tho.

A better alternaitive would be a better copy on Risc OS which recognised
that truncated filenames where a problem and did something about it.

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
My opinions != IVisions's      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?