Subject: Re: Unixfs / Kernel Config
To: Michael Howard <mick@teuto.de>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/23/1996 18:01:02
On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, Michael Howard wrote:

> Goog morning all,

Goog evening ;-)

[snip compile stuff]

get the latest config from the upgrades directory on the ftp site.

> And finally...
>
> I still haven't achieved a native boot.  I copied a kernel to /netbsd and selected the
> native boot option. Every time I boot I get the error;
>
> 	bad filecore bootblock
> 	7
> 	Filecore boot block checksum failed
>
> This is the same message I was receiving whilst attempting to use unixfs,  is this
> problem also related to the fact that I'm using a dedicated disc for the partition?
> Or am I being extremely thick today? What's new you might ask.

Yes. unixfs looks at the file core boot block for the Non-ADFS partition
descriptor which in RiscBSD's case points to the disklabel. You don't
actually need to native boot (AFAIK) for any other reason then convienence -
but the kernel you boot and the /netbsd kernel must be the same ones or some
things the need information about the kernel structures break.

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
My opinions != IVisions's      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?