Subject: Re: Installation problems...
To: Daniel Blueman (5) (CURRICULUM) <5DBLUEMAN@qeliz.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/21/1996 22:39:51
On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Daniel Blueman (5) (CURRICULUM) wrote:

> Hi, (in need of help)
>
> I have just spent the afternoon yesterday backing up and reformating my
> (425MB)
> harddisc with a (250MB) partition for RiscBSD.
>
> Everything went fine until it came to installing RiscBSD.
>
> The kernel doesn't recognise the ATAFS on a RapIDE32 interface card in
> my
> RiscPC.
>
> ATAFS is a Filecore compliant FS, so that it *should* work with the
> RiscBSD
> kernel (4626, I think), unless of course it uses the ADFS_DiscOp SWIs
> directly,
> but surely it would be much wiser to use the FileCore_DiscOp SWIs as
> they
> pass control to other FS's.

I am not at all surprised ... The RapIDE card is not supported.
When you say the kernel does not recognised ATAFS what exactly do you
mean ? Filecore compliancy has nothing to do with RiscBSD as RiscBSD
replaces RiscOS.

The only code in RiscBSD that uses DiscOp SWI's directly are unixfs and
bb_risbsd

unixfs has general support to allow any Disop SWI's to be used
bb_riscbsd is specific as it has to handle the different ways in which
different filesystems handler multiple partitions.

> Does anyone have the same problem, or am I alone?
> Is there any solution other than either recompiling the kernel (which I
> can't do)
> or modifying it directly? (probably close to impossible!)
> One solution is to attach the harddisc to the ADFS IDE connector, but
> that would
> defeat the object of having a EIDE interface.
>
> Any response would be a great help.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel Blueman
>
> (RiscPC600 16MB DRAM 1MB VRAM and a small 425MB Harddisc with a
> RapIDE32 interface and a 4x ATAPI CDROM)

Again I will point out the fact that RiscBSD does not support
RapIDE. RiscBSD replaces RiscOS so compliancy is irrelevant.

We are prepared to write drivers to support the RapIDE. Currently
we are waiting on Yellowstone who have been regularly promising
to lend me a card for months.

cheers
			Mark

Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk
Research Associate			http://www.ph.kcl.ac.uk/~amb/
Department of Physics			tel: 0171 873 2894
King's College London			fax: 0171 873 2716