Subject: Re: RiscPC_bootphase
To: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/20/1996 16:05:23
>> If we can make ART to implement a HD seek procedure into RiscOS which checks
>> the bootsector of *any* harddrive/floppy, this would be the best solution.
>
>Indeed. The biggest problem though is that if people want to boot off
something
>other than the internal IDE the podules need to have been initialised.
More than just initialising the podules RiscOS would need support for reading
the bootstrap of any podule. Now it could use the DiscOP SWI but then you need
to work out what one to use and the DiscOp SWI's can call other SWI's,
interrupts etc. and soon you need a lot of RiscOS in place.

You would then want every I/O podule to support a special call to read a
bootsector from a device in a polling fashion which would not rely on the rest
of RiscOS running.

Cheers,
				Mark

--