Subject: Re: Xinst
To: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
From: Matt <matthew@xania.uk.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/20/1996 10:12:30
On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Peter Berg wrote:

[enormous snip]
> > > I have included a short demo GIF of a SUIT GUI in this
> > > mail
> >
> > It looks fine.
> > How difficult is it to write such a program?
>
> For every button/gadjet just one line to createee it and one line for
> registering
> your callback function, thats all.
> Everything what you only need to look good, you may interactive at the runtime
> of your application.
> (The sample I think only was 15 lines C code long)
>
> > Wouldn't tcl/tk also do it? This would have the same advantage as the current
> > inst script that you can very easily change it.
>
> Easy ?
> As long as you are familiar with tcl, may be, but if not you won't be able to
> change
> the right.
> The disadvantage that tcl/tk has on RiscBSD is, that it is a
> interpreterlanguage and
> the interpreter often makes floatingpoint operations.

Well, last night I took to playing around with tcl/tk and it is completely
usable on my 710-based system.  I have also put together a working user
administration package in all of 13k of source code which I'll dump on my
web site at some stage if anyone's interested.  Maybe we can decide what
we want and then get some more packages written, like the installer :)

Take care,

Matt
-==-