Subject: Re: Misc Statements/Problems/Suggestions [long!]
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/18/1996 14:39:47
On Nov 17,  4:57pm, Markus Baeurle wrote:
> Subject: Re: Misc Statements/Problems/Suggestions [long!]
> Hello Stefan!
>
> Although this comes a bit late, I still want to make some comments.
>
> In message <199611061216.NAA05153@cip56.cscip.uni-sb.de>
>           Stefan Schlesinger <stscl@cscip.uni-sb.de> wrote:
> > Apart from X RiscBSD seems to work stable now, as far as I could see.
> > This has been important, since one of our new customers is an Internet
> > Provider who has been very impressed by the speed of the StrongARM RiscPC
and
> > is planing to use one under RiscBSD as their main server, as soon as the
>
> Hohum, I don't think RiscBSD is stable enough for such a job yet. It should
not
> crash, but RiscBSD still does that now and then. It most probably will in a
few
> months, but still lacks a bit of stability now IMHO.

I was thinking this until just before AW'96. During the show lots of people
came up to me and asked about using RiscBSD for various 'mission critical'
things like ISPs. Initially my reaction was 'Hang on a minute, it isn't stable
enough yet...'. Then somebody pointed out that they were having to make a
choice between RiscBSD and Windows NT and in their experience RiscBSD
1.2-release was more stable ( of course YMMV). Another thing that was pointed
out to me was that RiscBSD is getting more stable at a very rapid rate so it
isn't that crazy to use it for building systems which are going to 'go live' in
six months or a year. Personally I would have thought the main problem issue
with something like an ISP would be lack of hardware drivers.

Cheers

Rob