Subject: Re: installing network / ethernet card
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/15/1996 14:46:25
> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 19:36:20 +0100 (GMT)
> From: Michiel Koolen <koolen@cerberus.dimes.tudelft.nl>
>
> I have been trying to install my ethernet card with RiscBSD, but so far Im
> not getting anywhere. When I run /uss/local/sbin/rcm and use the network
> setup item, at the part where I can choose an interface I get the message
> 'no interfaces available'.
>
> Im using a RPC600 (with ARM710) and an ethernet1 card (hey, it was free!)
> for which I have the DCI4 driver.
>
> Anyone out there who can help me?

I may be able to help you.

I also have an Acorn Ethernet 1 card avaible, the first issue ever,
and serial number 01-AKA25-1000167.

The information on this card is: E C EXP CARD 0173,000 ISS.1

This card has 10base-2 (coax) and 10base-5 (AUI, 15-pin D-SUB).

This card is very special since it does not contain a normal
ROM, but a microcontroller with ROM instead. This is also the
Ethernet controller, and is the large chip on the card.

The card I have is recognized fine by kernel 4634, and that
probably means it will be recognized by any kernel (can you
confirm this Mark?)

I have not yet tested it in action, since I have had too little
time experimenting with it. I just stuck it in to see if RiscBSD
would find it.

I have used this type of card before, and they are very volatile.
the microcontroller is very easy to damage, and I did that on
one of them I had. This was then replaced with an Ether 2 card,
and finally with an Ether 3 one. The latter works fine.

Your first step is to figure out if it will work in RISC OS.
You have to go to the CLI with F12 or start a task window
with CTRL-F12. There you type *podules and see if it lists the
card.
If not, it is dead and useless. If it does, then some
more scrutiny needs to be done.

You should then check if the card is recognized during the
boot process.

After this, I am afraid I do not know, but someone on the
list will be able to help you move on and figure this
out for you.

> Do *you* have any idea what I am talking about?

Yes, I do, see above.

I hope this has been of any help to you, and that we can
get you up and running.

Kjetil B.