Subject: Urgent Help Required
To: RiscBSD List <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ben Strawson <B.Strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/15/1996 13:23:19
Hi,

Yesterday, sadly, whilst using RiscBSD something happened which seems to
have stopped me from booting RiscBSD.  I am not sure what caused the
problem, but need to recover a few files from the disc which I need for
the end of next week.

As far as I can see, all that is wrong is that the Superblock has got
done in.  When I boot, it complains that it can't mount root on /.  I
tried booting with the install floppy and running fsck on the disc - it
says that the SuperBlock has a bad magic, and then asks whether I want to
look for backup SuperBlocks.  If I type 'y', it seems to give up rather
too quickly (doesn't even access the disc by the sounds of it) and says
it can't find any.

Is the version of fsck on the install floppy a full version?  Or is it so
cut down that actually it doesn't know how to find a backup SuperBlock?

Given the geometry of the disc, could calculate where a backup SuperBlock
will be, and then tell it using the -B option - and even then, would it
know how to recover it?

Could someone send me a full version of fsck from the release sets, or
put one of an FTP site for me to get?  Would this even help?

Could it be something else is wrong, such as the bootblock?

The system is a RiscPC600 with 24Mb DRAM, 2Mb VRAM, 1Gb SCSI Drive on
Cumana Card of which 600Mb is RiscBSD, and a 400Mb IDE drive.

Thanks for any help you can give -

Ben.

Ben Strawson                                            b.strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science