Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_RiscPC_bootphase_=8A=06?=
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/15/1996 11:23:24
--PART-BOUNDARY=.19611151123.ZM5989.warhol

On Nov 14,  2:46pm, Peter Berg wrote:
> Subject: RiscPC bootphase =8A=06
> Hi,
>
> Can someone explain me how the boot process on the RiscPC works ?
> (I only want to know whether it is possible to have a bootloader
> like lilo for RiscBSD/OS on the RiscPC which is stored in the disclabel=
> realize a clean solution for booting BSD without booting some parts of =
RiscOS
> before ?)
>
> A RiscOS free boot would be nice ;)

Right, this is certainly possible. PCs boot their OS from disk so lilo ju=
st
replaces the first level of OS bootstrap on disk. RiscOS boots from ROM s=
o to
bypass RiscOS we'd need to blow some replacement ROMs. As RiscOS is copyr=
ight
ART we wouldn't be able to include it in the replacement ROMs. We do not =
have
the equipment or organisation to do this so we would need quite a large a=
mount
of interest to make it econimcally feasible.

What I propose is this. If we can manage to find at least 1000 people who=
 say
that they will place orders then we will do a limited run of replacement =
ROMs.
These ROMs will cost 99 UKP each and will completely replace RiscOS (ie y=
ou
won't be able to boot RiscOS at all any more). Also, you will only be abl=
e to
boot RiscBSD from disks attached to the motherboard IDE controller. This =
is
subject to me getting the agreement of the rest of the kernel team (I hav=
en't
consulted them on this yet). These figures were guesstimated on the back =
of an
envelope so I reserve the right to change them without notice.

Cheers

Rob

PS If any third party wants to produce the ROMs themselves then we would =
be
happy to come to some arrangement.

PPS And now for something completely different... ;-)

-- =

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19611151123.ZM5989.warhol--