Subject: None
To: <>
From: None <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/14/1996 23:00:32
> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 13:33:00 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Robert Malcolm Speed <R.M.Speed-iq2j9367@lmu.ac.uk>
>
> Err..... I think 'Help' is the watchword for today !
>
> Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.
> I am trying to install BSD 1.2 Release (Beta-Release ?)
> My setup is RPC600 (33Mhz 610), 850 IDE Conner (~350 for BSD), 8+8+1MB,
> 6x Mitsumi (so called ATAPI) CD-ROM.
>
> Here's what happens;
> I boot from the floppy (Gunzipped image!), it goes through all the various
> blurb on startup, gets past the point where it asks you the dimensions of
> your HD - mine is;-
> 1656 Cylinders, 16 Heads, 63 Sectors, 512 Bytes/Sector
> BSD is starting at Cylinder 1001
> I specify 55 Cyl for the Root, 50 for the swap and the rest (500) for
> /usr
> I set the mount point to be /usr, It then says something about there being
> some trouble ("you're in do-do") if it doesn't work, then launches into
> transferring stuff and trys to create files on the HD, but instead I get
> screenfulls of something to the ilk of;-
>
> /:create /symlink failed, no inodes free
> tar: could not create file .profile : no space left on device
> UID 0 on /:file system full

The problem here is probably caused by the fact that disklabel
failed to label the disc due a builtin safety.

It will not create the disc label if you have a FileCore partition
on the disc and have not created the correct partition table.

To create this partition table you must run the program bb_riscbsd
from RISC OS before trying to install RiscBSD.

The error message from disklabel will in this case be something
like this:
wd0: RiscBSD partition identifier string not found.

Then you will get an error message from newfs:
newfs: /dev/rwd0a: Device not configured
ffs: /dev/wd0a on /mnt: Device not configured

This is a problem I have run into myself, and it is very easy
to miss that part in the current installation manual.

> I could imagine something like this happening if there was no actual space
> left but this happens when using the boot floppy (1.44M !!!!)
>
> I've followed the instructions which are clear and concise, time and time
> again, it's getting beyond a joke, I shall not give up on it as I wish to
> have a machine capable of running a varient of Unix, DOGS, Windoze and a
> fairly decent OS (ROS) running on the same machine.
>
> I must say I didn't get this trouble when installing Linux on my P60,
> which incidently is slower than my RPC in native mode, but faster than
> some DEC P75's I use at work....... the joys of motherboard chipsets, eh!

I hope this will help you out.

Kjetil B.