Subject: Re: YAHM (Yet Another Help Message)
To: Robert Malcolm Speed <R.M.Speed-iq2j9367@lmu.ac.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/14/1996 16:12:23
On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Robert Malcolm Speed wrote:

> Err..... I think 'Help' is the watchword for today !
>
> Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.
> I am trying to install BSD 1.2 Release (Beta-Release ?)
> My setup is RPC600 (33Mhz 610), 850 IDE Conner (~350 for BSD), 8+8+1MB,
> 6x Mitsumi (so called ATAPI) CD-ROM.
>
> Here's what happens;
> I boot from the floppy (Gunzipped image!), it goes through all the various
> blurb on startup, gets past the point where it asks you the dimensions of
> your HD - mine is;-
> 1656 Cylinders, 16 Heads, 63 Sectors, 512 Bytes/Sector
> BSD is starting at Cylinder 1001
> I specify 55 Cyl for the Root, 50 for the swap and the rest (500) for
> /usr
> I set the mount point to be /usr, It then says something about there being

AFAIK this is the problem. When you are installing the hard disk partition
that will be / is actually mounted on /mnt This means that the hard disk
/usr partition is actually /mnt/usr. When I installed (a long time ago) I
had to set the install program so that the sets were untarred into /mnt.
/ is actually the RAM disk created from the boot floppy.

HTH

Mike