Subject: Advice needed for compiling GCC
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kim G. S. \yhus <kim@pvv.ntnu.no>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/13/1996 23:05:27
I have now got gcc-2.7.2.tar.gz, and the RiscBSD
patch for it. (Actually, I got it 6 months ago.)

I unpacked it, and applied the patch with "patch -p"
as adviced by Mark 6 months ago.

After running ./configure, I saw that this script was
set for arm32 configuration, while the patch file was
set for arm configuration. After trying different experiments,
I am now trying Marks advice of using
./configure --target=arm-arm-netbsd --host=arm-arm-netbsd

This appear to work, and the compilation is still running
while I am writing this. However, it should not be necessary
to write such un-obvious things. "configure" should have
figured that out automatically. If Mark had not told me
that, I would never gotten anywhere. But since he told me
it, only a week of hard work was needed. But if configure
had been changed properly, an evening would have been
enough.

Anyway, I want to do some experiments with the processor
definitions file, since I have got an StrongARM.

Using gcc-2.7.2 instead of gcc-2.7.2.1, and an old
patch is not the best thing to do, I would guess.
Anyway, since it appears that it is now possible
to compile gcc, I will try to manage with this
configuration. This of course means that if my
planned and intentionally unmentioned fixes to gcc
for (Strong)ARM are successfull, they will not
contain other improvements to gcc.

Kim0

DARN!
The compilation of gcc just stopped with the error message:
collect2.c:240 conflicting types for 'sys-siglist'
/usr/include/signal.h:50: previous declaration of 'sys-siglist'
*** Error code 1

Stop

:-(   Which of the many ways of fixing this should I choose?