Subject: Re: Xinst
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1996 18:23:33
On Nov 12,  2:16pm, Mark Brinicombe wrote:
> Subject: Re: Xinst

> Regarding the installation script used for paritioning ...
> Ok I can understand people not liking the geometry stuff. This geometer stuff
> could be replaced without too much work. ioctls exist to obtain the geometry
> and the start of the RiscBSD part can be found in the same way that the
kernel
> does when obtaining the disklabel. Then all that is needed is a simple
program
> to ease the choosing of the partitions. Somebody else want to do this or do I
> move this up my priority list ?

Guilty as charged m'lord.

I got half way through doing this but I was waiting for the new console code.
Now that the console code mark III is dead and I am working on mark IV I guess
I ought to put some thought into it. Actually, the biggest problem is that I
don't currently have a spare disk to test it. Hmm, I've been thinking of
getting a new disk for a while now. Maybe I should do so. Anyone in the core
team have a spare 210 or smaller (well, I don't really care if its bigger...) I
can trash?

Cheers

Rob

PS It will make life a whole lot simpler if I can force the install to take
place in 8bpp mode with minimum of VGA res (640x480). Anyone have a problem
with this?