Subject: Re: Xinst
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Ogilvie <etlsnoe@deep-thought.ericsson.se>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1996 17:30:41
> Up until about a week ago I would have agreed with this - but I now feel
> that a decent installer is pretty urgent. I installed 1.2-release for an
> acquaintance who had given up because they couldn't get it to work. I
> managed it - but only because I'd been reading this list for the past few
> weeks and knew about other people's problems.
>
> What perhaps isn't appreciated enough is that a lot of people are
> reluctantly giving up on RiscBSD because they can't get it to install.
> They can use UNIX, but they haven't the expertise to tackle some of the
> problems mentioned on this list. This is a bit tragic IMHO.
>
> I agree that other things could do with fixing, but I think most people
> would rather have a slow/slightly unstable UNIX than no UNIX at all.

I agree entirely with this, as I am one of the people who reluctantly gave up
on it after failing to get it installed and not having time to find out why.
I think it was something to do with my Oak SCSI card not being compatible (at
the time) and I haven't had a chance to try it since.  If a CD appeared that
was bootable and installed it for me I would be very happy!  Having said that
I have an original Cumana internal IDE CD which I was once told was not
compatible with RiscBSD either :-(

It also has to be said that the installation instructions that are in the ftp
site are less than helpful though.  Perhaps if these were improved it would
make things easier...

Anybody know where I can get hold of a copy of ARM Linux.... ;-)

Simon.

 Simon Ogilvie   -  Systems Support
                    Ericsson Data Ltd., Guildford, UK
 Simon.Ogilvie@Guildford.Ericsson.se