Subject: Re: Printing from RiscBSD
To: None <dmill@globalnet.co.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1996 14:26:19
>At unpredictable moments when printing, using lpr, the machine drops out
>of the shell, the following appears on screen:
>
>    $ f00f4e24 : D@-e : e52d0004 : STR   r0 [r13,-#0x0004]!
>    panic; Abort handler cannot fix this :-(
>
>    f010e0f8 : ???g : e7ffffff : undefined instruction
>    stopped at     0xf010e0fc : ldmdb r11, {r11,r13,r15}
>
>and I am dropped into the debug shell (db>). At this point, all I can do
>is to reboot.

At this point does the command

trace

give you a traceback ? if so can you mail the first few lines of it.

This is a bug that has been reported before (someone should send-pr it to the
port-arm32 category).

So far I have been unable to reproduce it and can print fine to my laser
printer from RiscBSD.
>From what I have heard of the problem it may be a soft interrupts related
problem.

The panic reported indicates that the SVC r13 has been trashed and a subsequent
store to the stack has generated a page fault. Fixups of faulted SVC stacks
cannot be fixed up following a data abort and in fact since the SVC stack
should *Never* fault this is a problem in any case.

I'll take another look and see if I can generate the problem.

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk