Subject: Re: ARM Linux
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1996 14:21:47
On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Amit Gupta wrote:

> > I think Linux for the RiscPC comes one and a half year to late and noone will
> > drop his RiscBSD away for a system with less software available.
>
> I don't know - in terms of software, just about anything that compiles
> under BSD will compile under Linux. In terms of speed, they're probably
> similar. I would guess that some folk would prefer Linux to BSD, simply
> because they know it. The issue is really whether two teams should be
> duplicating each others work - I don't know too much about kernel/X
> programming but it would be a real shame if this happened.

  I think that the i386 -> Arm differences are far larger than Linux ->
BSD as far as portinng software goes. After all NetBSD does have Linux
compatibility code.

  As far as people being used to Linux goes, it's also worth remembering
that Linux is just a kernel. Different Linux distributions handle things
in different ways. I can remember getting quite a shock after the first
time I was asked to fix a RedHat installation ater years of using
Slackware, to find that everythjing was in a different place!

> P.S. my favourite quote from Acorn World 96 :
>
> [Me] "So, Russell, how long did it take you to get X11R6 running on ARM
> Linux ?"
>
> [Russ] "About a week - but most of that was compile time."

  How does he do it?

Ale.