Subject: Re: ARM Linux
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1996 13:08:35
On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Markus Baeurle wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Philip Blundell wrote:
>
> > Perhaps.  But there is a lot of Linux-compatible software out there, and
> > there are a lot of people who are more at home with Linux than with BSD.
>

> -What's the big difference between Linux and BSD from a user's and
> administrative point of view? I don't think that's really severe. I use,
> maintain and hack NetBSD at home and FreeBSD and Linux at the Fachhochschule.

  There's one obvious difference.  Linux has the GPL, so we can't
distribute (i.e. use) any of their source in our kernels.
  Not really sure why, but that seems to be the upshot of it.

    Just a thought.  Would it be possible to distribute the source for
loadable (I think) kernel modules (LKMs) with GPLd drivers separately
from the kernel distribution?

  Ale.