Subject: Printing from RiscBSD
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Millen <dmill@globalnet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1996 10:22:38
Can anyone help??????

I am having problems printing from RiscBSD to my Epson Stylus Color II
inkjet, which is configured as follows in /etc/printcap:

lp|local line printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:pw=80:pl=66:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs

At unpredictable moments when printing, using lpr, the machine drops out
of the shell, the following appears on screen:

    $ f00f4e24 : D@-e : e52d0004 : STR   r0 [r13,-#0x0004]!
    panic; Abort handler cannot fix this :-(

    f010e0f8 : ???g : e7ffffff : undefined instruction
    stopped at     0xf010e0fc : ldmdb r11, {r11,r13,r15}

and I am dropped into the debug shell (db>). At this point, all I can do
is to reboot.

Having rebooted, unless I first turn off the printer, the system tries
again to print the job with the same consequences. The only way to clear
things is to boot with the printer turned off and to clear the contents
of /var/spool/lpd.

My hardware is a RiscPC 600, 20+1MB, 3 Hard Drives, Cumana Indigo CDROM,
Aleph 1 486DX2 80 co-processor and US Robotics Sportster Vi 28.8k
Fax-Modem.

It could be that it is a buffer size/overflow problem, since I have
found that the denser the text on the page, the earlier on the page the
fault occurs, but I think I have the print environment set to handle
unlimited size files and anyway this occurs even when trying to print my
'.cshrc' file, which is not very large.

As far as I can tell, I have everything configured correctly and am only
using the printer in text mode as a line printer, but I am a newcomer to
UNIX system management, although not to using it, and could be doing
something wrong. If so any advice that anyone can give me regarding the
setup procedure would be appreciated!

TIA

Dave Millen.