Subject: Re: ARM Linux
To: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
From: Philip Blundell <pjb27@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1996 02:04:19
On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Peter Berg wrote:

> I guess this would cause some drastic changes to the gcc code and will not be
> easy to realize. I'm not shure why they in Linux have invented the ELF format,
> but I think they had problems with the a.out. But now nearly everything in
> Linux is ELF now and I know no BSD system which can handle ELF binaries.

Linux didn't 'invent' ELF, it has been a standard on System V for some
time.  ELF for ARM is something I plan to look at in the not-too-distant
future for Linux.

> I think Linux for the RiscPC comes one and a half year to late and noone will
> drop his RiscBSD away for a system with less software available.

Perhaps.  But there is a lot of Linux-compatible software out there, and
there are a lot of people who are more at home with Linux than with BSD.

phil