Subject: ARM Linux
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Amit Gupta <93akg@eng.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/10/1996 21:04:44
Looking around Acorn World I noticed that Russ King now has ARM Linux up
and running on a Risc PC. He has implemented StrongARM support and is
planning to support the ARM6 and ARM7 also. He has compiled X11R6 with 1,
4 and 8bpp X servers.

He has shared libraries but only in a.out format, i.e. no
position-independent code and no ELF.

I was wondering what the possibilities for mutual development between
RiscBSD and ARM Linux teams were ? Things that spring to mind are the gcc
compiler and the X server/libraries, which might contain a lot of code
common to both RiscBSD and ARM Linux. If the console interfaces were
identical it might even be possible to develop a single X server for both
systems, though I've no idea whether this is realistic.

Another possibility might be a single format for executables, compiled
with a common version of gcc. This would have obvious advantages when
compiling and maintaining ports.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable could shed some light on this ?

amit