Subject: Re: Problem :(
To: Richard Malpass <richard@kingsdev.demon.co.uk>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/10/1996 16:36:20
On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Richard Malpass wrote:

> Thanks for your help, but please could you tell me how to get RiscBSD to boot first?
> The problem is that it just goes round and round in circles, and wont let me login/use
> any shells. I have tried all of the options in the !BtRiscBSD application with no success.
> If there is any way to get it to boot or change the permissions using UnixFS please could
> you let me know.

  Boot off the inst1.2fs (or whatever it's called) floppy image on the FTP
site (If you actually select rd0a as the root device, you'll be able to
use floppies after booting which may be useful). This will give you a
working root filesystem.  When it asks you if you wish to install NetBSD,
just say no and it will put you into a shell from which you can mount your
HD root partition somewhere else and examine it

i.e.

(  You may need to remount root as rw
mount -u /
)

mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
then  cd /mnt/etc
and take a look at your rc file, see if you can spot what's wrong.

  It might be an idea to take a copy of it using unixfs first.

  Hope this is of some help!
  You could also make /etc  (or /mnt/etc) world writeable (chmod 777 etc)
so that you can fiddle with it using unixfs.

Ale.