Subject: Re: RE: Set description file
To: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
From: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/08/1996 18:44:31
> Hello Peter and James!

> > The installer that comes with some versions of linux does this sort of thing.
>
> That's really missing.
> Who's going to write it? Many people say it's needed, but nobody goes and does
> something about it, including me. :-|
>
> > PS Remember not everyone will want to install X so there should always be the
> > option to install from the shell.
>
> Yes, this is a must.
> Most Linux distributions and FreeBSD use the same toolkit to get something like
> windows on the shell, don't know what it's called, might be SUIT which Peter
> mentioned.

No ! These programs all seem to be written in Tcl/Tk. The toolkit you see is
Tk. Tk might
be used from within tcl or C, but don't ask how to do this in C, I couldn't
find it out.
( if you want to know how the Tk widgets look like, see

	http://www.ww.tu-freiberg.de/~pberg/X11_Snapshots.html

the picture in the upper right edge. Everything you see runs on my RiscPC
under RiscBSD,
but most of them is not on the FTP site yet)

> It might be worth to take a look at FreeBSD's pkg_manage.

I don't think this is necessary, because they do nothing else then 'our' inst
program does.
Just on a other way, I think.

> There are
> some things which could be done better and it uses a different scheme for the
> package files (the equivalent to sets), but it could probably be used with some
> tweaking.
> But you probably need a sophisticated terminal emulation for that and I doubt
> every NetBSD port can offer that, there are still problems with the RiscBSD
> one.
>
> Markus

Ciao, Peter

E-Mail: Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de