Subject: RE: Set description file
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/07/1996 01:34:55
Hello Peter and James!

In message <@x400gw.infonet.com>
          "Hunter, James M     YORK,IT" <James.Hunter@nestlegb.nestle.com>
wrote:

> Ciao, Peter wrote:
>
> >here are some suggestions for new tags for the set files:
> >
> [snip tags]
> >
> >These informations might be usefull for e.g. a X-based installation program.

Peter, look at the file "making-sets" or something like that in the
documentation directory on the ftp site.
Most of them have already been defined by Mark, although they're not used yet.

> I think that we should have a nice menu based installer where you have sets
> in groups so you can say select X apps group and then choose which programs
> you want, deselect any you don't want anymore and the installer then goes off
> and does it's stuff.
>
> The installer that comes with some versions of linux does this sort of thing.

That's really missing.
Who's going to write it? Many people say it's needed, but nobody goes and does
something about it, including me. :-|

> PS Remember not everyone will want to install X so there should always be the
> option to install from the shell.

Yes, this is a must.
Most Linux distributions and FreeBSD use the same toolkit to get something like
windows on the shell, don't know what it's called, might be SUIT which Peter
mentioned. It might be worth to take a look at FreeBSD's pkg_manage. There are
some things which could be done better and it uses a different scheme for the
package files (the equivalent to sets), but it could probably be used with some
tweaking.
But you probably need a sophisticated terminal emulation for that and I doubt
every NetBSD port can offer that, there are still problems with the RiscBSD
one.

Markus