Subject: Re: Re: Is it OK to get an ATAPI CDROM?
To: None <rbsd@line9.slipneu.tu-freiberg.de>
From: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/06/1996 21:53:51
> Hi Thomas!
>
> In message <19961031.165521.09@y0001006.tu-bs.de>
>           y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de (Thomas Boroske) wrote:
>
> > In preparation for the SA upgrade and the RiscBSD installation somewhere
> > in the future I would like to know wether it's OK to get an IDE CDROM.

I use a Mitsumi FX600 in my RiscPC and it works without any problems under
RiscOS and RiscBSD too.
But: Only few ATAPI CD-ROMs work with the RiscPC because nearly every producer
of ATAPI CDROMs have their own understanding of what ATAPI means :(
If you can get a FX600 somewhere, take it otherwise wait for a SCSI drive.

> > I know there are ATAPI kernels available, but is this as well supported
> > as the SCSI ones ? Is it possible at all ? Better ?

As long as no DMA SCSI works, it might be faster :)

> I can't comment on the support by RiscBSD though, never tried to use this.
>
> Markus

Ciao, Peter

E-Mail: Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de
WWW   : http://www.ww.tu-freiberg.de/~pberg