Subject: Postgres95
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Schlesinger <stscl@cscip.uni-sb.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/06/1996 13:34:00
Hello all,

as this is matter isn't directly connected to my previous letter, I decided
to send it in a mail for itself.

For already mentioned resons I tried to compile the publically available
SQL-Database-Server 'Postgress95'. The official sites for that are

  http://www.ki.net/postgres95

as Homepage,

  ftp://ftp.ki.net/pub/postgres95

as primary ftp-server for the sources and

  ftp://postgres95.vnet.net/pob/postgres95

as mirror.

As described in the docs, I used gmake to make the MAKEFILE.global.
Compiling it with

       PORTNAME=BSD44_derived

which should be for 'OSs derived from 4.4-lite BSD (NetBSD, FreeBSD)',
according to the documentation, resulted in a compilation phase of about 20
minutes and a final abort with the following error messages:

  /usr/local/steve/postgres95/src/backend/storage/ipc/s_lock.c:
                                                          In function 'tas':
  /usr/local/steve/postgres95/src/backend/storage/ipc/s_lock.c:393:
                                Inconsistent operand constraints in an 'asm'

The relevant code there is

  #if defined(PORTNAME_BSD44_derived) || \
      defined(PORTNAME_bsdi) || \
      defined(PORTNAME_bsdi_2_1) || \
      defined(PORTNAME_linux)

  int
  tas(slock_t *m)
  {
      slock_t res;
      __asm__("xchgb %0,%1":"=q" (res),"=m" (*m):"0" (0x1));
      return(res);
  }

Since I don't have too much assembler experience and dont know this command
in particular, I have no idea what could be the problem here.

Maybe anyone of you could provide me with a patch or ideally upload
the ready-made binaries to the contrib-directory, if there is a solution
for that at all.

With best regards,

Stefan Schlesinger

--
          Stefan Schlesinger           ! "Mr. Gates, we would like you to
          ExGRA Saarbruecken           !  leave the building." Acorn Ltd.,