Subject: RE: Set description file
To: Hunter, James M YORK,IT <James.Hunter@nestlegb.nestle.com>
From: Amit Gupta <93akg@eng.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/06/1996 09:00:14
On 5 Nov 1996, Hunter, James M     YORK,IT wrote:

> I think that we should have a nice menu based installer where you have sets
> in groups so you can say select X apps group and then choose which programs
> you want, deselect any you don't want anymore and the installer then goes off
> and does it's stuff.
>
> The installer that comes with some versions of linux does this sort of thing.

Yes, Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 (and presumably other versions) has this type of
thing. Under this installer the kernel seems to do a full startup from the
CD-ROM, mounting it as read-only and launching X before bringing up a
window asking you which sets you want to install. You do almost everything
from X.

I would really like to see something like this but I guess it's a lot of
work.

amit