Subject: Re: Release process
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/06/1996 00:06:04
Hi Rob!

In message <9611041209.ZM8541@warhol>
          Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 12:52am, Markus Baeurle wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Release process
> [ ... ]
>
> > Another kernel hacker wouldn't be bad too, but this is very difficult to
> learn.
>
> Actually, I think that there would be source control problems for anyone else
> trying to do core kernel work, however we are always in need of people to
> write device drivers and this is much easier to learn.

Well that's what I meant, someone who can also contribute to the kernel sources
apart from Scott and Nut who are doing "peripheral" kernel things like device
drivers, console code and the like.

What I want to do is port the FreeBSD worm driver (CD-writer-support) to NetBSD
and I find it quite hard to learn about the SCSI subsystem as there is hardly
any documentation on it.
So I wouldn't say it's easy to learn how to write device drivers if you only
have the source code to learn from, especially as this is not at all well
commented.

Cheers, Markus