Subject: Re: Is it OK to get an ATAPI CDROM?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig4.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/05/1996 13:36:25
> In preparation for the SA upgrade and the RiscBSD installation somewhere
> in the future I would like to know wether it's OK to get an IDE CDROM.
> The reason I ask is that SCSI CDROMs are totally sold out ATM, except the
> rather expensive ones (358 DM for 6.7 x SCSI CDROM).

Well I have only used ATAPI CDROM drives that have been supplied with RiscPC's

The ATAPI driver is still under development (not committed to the NetBSD source
tree yet) but seems quite good. I have done several installations from CDROM
with an ATAPI drive.

Current the ATAPI driver does not support audio.

As to other ATAPI driver I cannot say. I have had a number of problems with
ATAPI drives on standard PC's only liking certain types of CDROM.

As far as RiscBSD is concerned there should not be many problems if you can
find an ATAPI drive that will work happily on a RiscPC under RiscOS. That
however I cannot comment on as I have not tried.

Cheers,
				Mark

--
Mark Brinicombe				amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk