Subject: Re: Is it OK to get an ATAPI CDROM?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/04/1996 23:38:26
Hi Thomas!

In message <19961031.165521.09@y0001006.tu-bs.de>
          y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de (Thomas Boroske) wrote:

> In preparation for the SA upgrade and the RiscBSD installation somewhere
> in the future I would like to know wether it's OK to get an IDE CDROM.
> The reason I ask is that SCSI CDROMs are totally sold out ATM, except the
> rather expensive ones (358 DM for 6.7 x SCSI CDROM).

I wouldn't do it, there are too many problems with them, at least in connection
with the RiscPC. Andreas Joos (maybe you know him) and somebody else from maus.
sys.archimedes each tried to connect an ATAPI CDROM and they didn't work.
Andreas's works fine in an Amiga.
Other people had more /luck/ though.
For me, IDE/ATAPI is flaky, broken, whatever you want to call it. If you need
luck when you connect a peripheral to your computer to pick a working
combination, something is seriously wrong, isn't it?
I shiver at the thought that there are perverts out there who want to bring out
ATAPI-CDwriters...

> I know there are ATAPI kernels available, but is this as well supported
> as the SCSI ones ? Is it possible at all ? Better ?

I can't comment on the support by RiscBSD though, never tried to use this.

Markus