Subject: Re: 'missing' X resources
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/04/1996 12:33:21
On Nov 1,  9:30am, Duncan Ferguson wrote:
> Subject: Re: 'missing' X resources
>
> Text quoted from David Croft:

> > > [snip]
> > > These links should not be there and indeed they can break things.
> >
> > I have had to put this one in as some software (I think it may have been
> > xfm) was looking for it. So I now have /usr/X11/ and /usr/X11R6/ both
> > symbolically linked to /usr/X11R6.1/. Is this okay?
>
> I had a hunt within the fvwm config file (system.fvwm) and there are
> 3 user definable paths that pointed toresources for X outside of
> X11R6.1 directory which doesnt exist.  I changed the paths to
> point to /usr/X11R6.1/ and it works.  Well, up to a point, but more
> of that in a mo.  This is why i was wondering earlier whether or not
> there was a problem with my installation 'cos some programs are
> looking for X resources outside of X11R6.1.
>
> Also found a problem with 'man' looking for pages - in man.conf both
> X11 and X11R6 were defined, but no X11R6.1, so i couldnt get any help
> on anything for a while (until i changed man.conf).
>
> Is it definitly the case that the install sets are putting everything
> into the right place and the man paths and X resources are looking in
> the wrong place, or the other way around?  I am confused.

/usr/X11R6.1 is definitely the *right place*.

> > I must say that I haven't had any problems whatsoever with X, and it is
> > all running very stably with fvwm, xfm, nedit, mosaic, xlock, xclock, etc.
>
> Can you tell me how you did it then?  More or less whenever i call
> startx, X bombs out with a memory fault, sometimes gets further so i
> can start nedit, but so far hasnt lasted very long.  I am wondering
> that if David got it working OK whether there is a pysical problem with my
> memory.  (8MB board with 30 Mg swap - I am going to have a closer look at the
> physical memory to see if there is a problemt)
>
> > Oh - one question. Can I get that blue/green startup screen back? It was
nice.

> I second that vote - how about the current screen super-imposed on
> the blue/green one? ;o)

Okay, the main reason for the change was I wanted something which used fewer
colours so I can use it in the modes with not many bpp. What I might do is have
a background which is mode dependant and then superimpose the image on top. I
will also put in options to switch either of them off or load a pixmap (I will
also change the naming scheme to handle different bpp).

Cheers

Rob