Subject: Re: 'missing' X resources
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Duncan Ferguson <d.ferguson@worc.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/01/1996 10:41:15
Rob Coward said:

> I think I spot your problem ..... 8Mb ! X requires huges amounts of
> memory to do anything substantial. I used to run RiscBSD with 12Mb and I
> rarely managed to start an xterm before X died (the underlying kernel was
> as stable as a rock.) After increasing my memory to 40Mb (swapped 4Mb
> simm for 32Mb) X suddenly overnight became as stable as a rock as well.
> I'm not sure I've had a single crash since.

I think i had almost worked this out - i managed to get xosview
working with no other xterms or anything coming up and 95% of the
memory was being used.  I tried running nedit and it died.  I think
i'll give up on X until i can get some more memory.  Might only be
8Mg, but that should solve the problem temporarily shouldnt it?

> Somewhere, there still seems to be problems with swapping and X as we
> still get reports of problems from people with small memory
> configurations.

I hadnt thought of runnong out of memory until i ran xosview because
i have a fairly sizable swap partition.  Oh well, i can wait a short
while until i can persuade someone to spend money on me ;o)

Many thanks,

  Duncs.
| Duncan Ferguson                  I.T. Support Advisor |
|         Worcester College of Higher Education         |
| My views are not necessarily supported by the college |
|                And who can blame them?                |